Thursday, February 12, 2015

Escape from Inniswood Metro Garden

            One day in the Winter of 2014, my mom and I decided to take a walk at Inniswood Metro Gardens to enjoy the deep snow on the ground.  My mom had broken her wrist several weeks before and couldn't drive, so my dad drove us over and dropped us off.  We walked around until the park was almost ready to close and then we waited near the parking lot for my dad to come.  We soon saw the park ranger drive by in his pickup truck. 
            "You know, I think the ranger may have locked the gate," said my mom. We  walked a considerable distance out to the park gate and found it shut up tight!  The ranger had checked for cars in the parking lot before he locked the gate, and our van wasn't there because my dad had dropped us off.  We had already been out for about an hour and were getting quite cold. 
            My mom had a cell phone with her, which we used  to call my dad.  Then we checked the fences to see if we could climb over them.  There wasn't any chance of that at all because the fences were 10 feet high, and because we were in big boots and snow pants which would have made it even harder to climb.  We also checked to see if we could squeeze under the gate.  That was impossible as well because there was very little space under it.  My mom began looking for emergency phone numbers in a park magazine we had picked up earlier.  We thought we were going to have to call the park ranger to unlock the gate and let us out of the park. 
            When my dad arrived, he didn't know what to do, so we prayed to God for help.  Then my dad noticed a fairly large opening between a 6 foot high stone pillar and the black wrought iron scrollwork.  He thought that it might be big enough for us to crawl through.  We succeeded in climbing up onto the pillar and through the opening to get out of the park.  This was a very suspenseful experience for my mom and me.  Now it makes a good story.  Here is a picture of the opening we used to climb out.  The arrow shows where the hole is:

 















Here is a close-up of the hole:






















I hope you enjoyed my story


- D.E. Frangipani

No comments:

Post a Comment