Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Art of Nicknames

The world’s worst not-bad-enough-to-keep-you-from-missing-school-but-bad-enough-to-annoy-you cold had been raging in our house for over a month. One of my sisters was not being vigilant enough in wiping her nose and was grossing us out. In an attempt to improve this situation, my Mom began calling her Boogers Hang Down when she needed a tissue. Not ones to miss an advantage, my siblings and I have continued calling her this even though it’s not a problem now. With the desire to get revenge, she has been desperately trying to come up with counter-nicknames. She’s tried Fat Face, Fart Face, Pig Face, Fat Pig, and Talks-a-lot. She struck gold when she came up with Running Stream from the Nose for my sister who was still sick. This has now been shortened to plain old Running Stream. I have suggested to her numerous names for myself. The secret is to suggest any names you’d prefer she not call you, and she will never call you them, simply because she thinks you’d like it.

A while before the long, horrible cold incident, the yet-to-be-dubbed Boogers Hang Down embarked on a deal with me, which is usually a bad idea. Her hair is always a rat’s nest when she wakes up, so I had started calling her Bedhead. She was getting annoyed with me so I said she could call me Ernesto de Pantelonez if I could call her Bedhead. She agreed. The trick here was to burst into a smile whenever she called me Ernesto de Pantelonez. It took the fun out of the “mean” nickname for her, and she stopped calling me Ernesto after the second or third time. I’m still ruthless with Bedhead, and whenever she complains, I remind her of our deal.

The nickname thing has been in the family for a while. In fact, my whole family is kind of crazy with nicknames. My dad especially has a long history of assigning people names. When he was a kid he gave everyone in his family “Indian names”. Though most of the names have been lost to time, my grandma’s was rather hard to forget. Buffalo Chip still tells us the story with wry humor. Nowadays, my dad has taken to calling her Baze. His brothers are Jed and Jay. Harold T. Bajarold, Peekerold, Lantern Waist, and Kerosene Lantern were all pet names he called me. He still calls me them occasionally, but most of them have been transferred to my younger siblings. A long time friend of the family calls me Beula and one of my cousins calls me Carlisselle. Another of my cousins has been yoked with the name Abignail, a con artist from the movie Catch Me if You Can. I think I originally gave it to her when she was explaining how she could finagle herself into a sleep-over if she forgot to mention a few details to certain people. I decided to give my little brother the nickname Little Bilbo. It just kind of popped out. Trend setter that I am, several other members of the family have also taken to calling him Little Bilbo or Little Bil for short.
With our history in name making, many more names are sure to follow, and you can put your names into history, too. I’d love to hear your favorite nicknames, and my sister would love to hear of a worthy name for me to rival Boogers Hang Down.

-Summer

12 comments:

  1. This is so funny! I get called by my middle name Breann!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes what's better than a nickname is a random unassociated name. (Like Bilbo) I used to call a random friends of mine George in conversation just to mix it up. I also like to switch titles. We had Aunt Barry and Uncle Leslie for instance and I call my Nephew, 'uncle Sam'. (Josh's idea). Sometimes it was also fun to use 'what's-her-face', but not act like you are trying to recall a name, so it just flows in the sentence in place of a name.
    Another fun hobby can be swapping names with a friend at the beggining of a summer camp, then waiting till the last few days to start correcting people... I'm still not sure why this was so fun.

    Anyways, the most important thing isn't what your called, but how, and who is the person behind the title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your great writing! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was called "Bird" by my grandfather. The name stuck and I'll still answer to it...although it is only family who knows it and uses it.

    A nickname for you? Hm.

    Tell Boogers Hang Down that she should consider calling you some sickeningly sweet name - Love Button, Suger-Wumps, Cutie McCuterson...anything along those lines. It may just be the perfect combination of annoying (to you) and vindicating (to her).

    If I picked a name for you, it'd be Book Girl. But since you're not looking for a superhero name, it'll have to wait for another day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boogers Hang Down is thinking about your suggestions. I think Kissy Face is also being considered. I don't know if I should thank you...:)

      Delete
  5. Lantern,
    Please be a little kinder to "Boogers Hang Down".
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicknames are very popular in our family as well. I don't think Matt calls anyone by their real name anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Princess Wordsmith . . . so very good with words poetically written. Indeed, a family which exudes excellence in every way, except when they slip into their Boogers Hand Down mode! Now the really fun family comes forward: Boogers Hang Down, Bedhead, Princess Running Stream, Little Bilbo, and Lego Beast! We'll leave you all to name mama and papa, 'cause you have to live with them. For Missy Karissy, she remains a Wordsmithy extraordinaire.

    ReplyDelete